Vikings unveil new jersey in tribute to late player Marcus Mariota
In a nod to his beloved Vikings, the Minnesota Vikings unveiled a new jersey Tuesday for the 2014 season that pays tribute to Marcus Mariotta.
“Marcus is a true pioneer of modern football,” the team said in a statement, via USA Today.
“He led the way for many with his bold vision for a game in which the players could be the ones who mattered most.”
The jersey, which was unveiled at the Vikings’ training facility, features Mariotta’s “X” on the chest, which is the word for “hero.”
“Mariota is truly one of the most remarkable players of all time, and it’s great to see his jersey get the recognition it deserves,” the Vikings said.
“Marius is the embodiment of our game and its spirit and we all have the privilege of seeing him play on a daily basis.”
Mariota played in the NFL for five seasons from 2007-10 and has a career passer rating of 97.3.
The former Oregon State star also has a knack for getting the ball to his receivers, which led to his nickname, “X,” in the game.
“X is the name that Marcus gave to the receivers in the league, and I think it’s really important to be able to wear it for him,” Mariota said in an interview with The Associated Press earlier this year.
“Because I know what it’s like to be out there and not be able be there.
So it’s a way of putting something in the world, to see it in action.”
The Vikings are in a tough spot with Mariota as the team continues to search for a new quarterback.
The team has already parted ways with Kirk Cousins, who is reportedly being pursued by a number of teams, and the Vikings have yet to land a new starter.
- How To Use The Illuminators On Your Computer To Display An LED Light Source To Displays An Illuminator On Your Mac Or PC
- Magic for all: Illuminated crossbows scope at London’s Medieval Museum
- How a few bright lights can help us see what’s in our hearts and minds: What light is actually reflecting?
- When is the next grinch? Here’s how to spot the next crook
- ‘The Flash’ star Barry Allen: I’ve learned more than I expected about the world of superheroes